Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday 14 December 2011

Info Post
I just love talking hair and I'm glad people are responding!  Doing hair is truly my passion. :)

So for today I thought I would talk about hair extensions.  There are many different ways to put extensions in your hair and there are many different types of hair you can use.  I'll talk a little about each one and the pros and cons of each method.

Clip In Extensions:
Clip in extensions are fun for those who don't want to commit time and money and just want a day to day change.

Pros:

  • Cheapest option
  • Used to add fashion colors to your hair
  • Mainly used for just a few strands or a few rows
  • Easy to do at home
  • Can remove for washing
Cons:
  • Can be hard to style
  • Hair is usually not the best quality and will degrade over time

Braid In Extensions:
Braid in extensions are great for those who want an over all different length of hair.  It adds a lot of fullness and doesn't require many tools or too much time.

Pros:
  • Great for making the hair longer and fuller
  • Can be done relatively quickly with a skilled braider
  • Point of insertion is pretty well hidden and blends well with natural hair
Cons:
  • Grows out fairly quickly
  • If you're not used to tight braids, you can get headaches
  • If not done correctly, hair breakage can occur

Fusion Extensions:
Fusion extensions are great for those who want extensions for a few months or longer.  These can be washed, dried, and styled like regular hair and can be cut into the style you desire.  Single strands do take a few hours to put in and you can have as many as 200-300 single strands of hair.

Pros:
  • Hair quality is superb
  • Single strand placement allows for better blending
  • Can be used for length or fullness
  • Fusion part is quick, but the process is long
Cons:
  • If not done by a professional, the glue can cause breakage
  • Removal process is quite long
  • Once hair is bonded, the strand cannot be used again resulting in more money spent buying more hair!

Micro Link Extensions:
Micro link extensions are perfect for those who want extensions for a few months or longer.  The hair is top quality and can be washed, dried, and styled.  Single strands do take a few hours to put in and you can have as many as 200-300 single strands of hair.  I had this done to my hair when I was in cosmetology school and the hair cost me around $300.  It would have been twice that, had I gone to a salon to get them done, but a friend did it for me.  Very expensive!

This is me with micro link extensions.  Can you believe my natural hair length is right under my chin?

Pros:
  • Hair quality is superb
  • Fairly easy to put in, but takes a long time
  • Can be used for length or fullness
  • Because of single strand placement, it's very easy to blend with natural hair
  • Strands may be used again once removed
Cons:
  • Requires a lot of time to be placed in hair
  • Most expensive option
  • Strands will start to slip as natural hair grows out

So there you have it!  The various methods of hair extensions.  If you're thinking about extensions in the future, email me and I'll try and answer any questions you have. :)
All Photos Courtesy of Google Search

0 comments:

Post a Comment