Breaking News
Loading...
Tuesday 24 April 2012

Info Post

I've debated on what to write for this post.  As a blogger, you can divulge or keep private as much as you want.  But minus the new visits I get for every post, I feel that there are a select few who I have developed relationships with.  And once becoming friends with people, you start to tell a little about your life.

You all know I'm married, and have a child, and complain about the heat, but I don't think any of you know that in one week from today, it will be the 1 year anniversary since my dad died.  And today is significant because it's his birthday.  My dad was a hard-core mountain climber.  He started climbing in 2007 and his goal was to summit the tallest mountains on the 7 continents.

His training consisted of pulling a 50 pound tire on a rope behind him, up and down the streets of our neighborhood.  Or running the stadium steps at my high school with a 60 pound pack on.  Or working out for 2 hours straight at the gym 6 days a week.  He was absolutely the healthiest and fittest man I knew.

So it came as no surprise when my dad was able to summit 6 out of 7 mountains in 4 years.  The last of his climbs was Mt. Everest in Nepal.  I remember dropping him off at the airport last year on March 26th, never knowing that that would be the last time I'd see him alive.  He was able to call my son using a satellite phone on his 1st birthday, and I was able to send him one last email on his birthday last year.

On May 1st, I awoke to pounding on my door at 2:30 in the morning.  It was a police officer with two chaplains who had come to tell me that my dad had died on the mountain.  Him and his team were about 10 minutes from Camp 3, when he collapsed and could not be revived.  It was concluded that he had a heart attack.

If any of you have ever lost someone close, you know what it's like on days like today.  A mixture of emotions in trying to understand it all and how to go on.  The saddest part for me is that my son will never know my dad.  I remember my dad saying before he left that he couldn't wait to get home to play with Orion in the pool that summer and watch him take his first steps.  I am not a religious person, but I do believe in energies and souls and even though my dad is not on this Earth, I know he's there somewhere.  And I know he's watching me and my son.

Thanks for reading and to anyone who has lost a friend, relative, or parent, I am thinking about you today.  <3






Dress: Jason Wu for Target // Clutch: Forever 21 // Heels: Payless

0 comments:

Post a Comment