Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday 1 December 2012

Info Post

Good Morning!!  Just wanted to do a review post of my experience with shopping the Target x Neiman Marcus Holiday Collection.  Hope you enjoy!

Online Experience
Target always announces that their designer collaborations go online sometime after midnight.  Hundreds of people always want an exact time, but Target never gives it.  I'll give you a hint though...Target Headquarters are in Minnesota which is Central Time.  The last two times I've bought designer collaboration items online, they all seemed to roll out around 10:30-11:00 pm Pacific Time, which would be about midnight to 12:30 Central Time.  Just food for thought. :)

As I patiently awaited items to go online, I checked Twitter for updates and it was really exciting to hear about all the items people were buying.

Here are the top items I feel that were the most coveted:

  • Oscar de la Renta Tote
  • Tory Burch Thermos and Lunchbox
  • Rag & Bone Cardigan
  • Proenza Schouler Sweatshirt
All of these items are still currently available online.

In Store Experience
After staying up to buy items online, I wanted to go in the store too to make sure the sizes I ordered were what I needed.  I didn't know how crazy the line was going to be.  I went to wait in line for Jason Wu back in February and I got there about 20 minutes before the store opened and it was fine.

This time I wanted to get there around 7:30 just in case.  I ended up being second in line.  But about 10 minutes after I got in line, the line got pretty long.  Probably around 40 people or so.  But not to worry, because every item of the collection was well stocked and I picked up everything I wanted to try on and a few extra. :)

Even an hour and a half after the store opened, the employees were still bringing items out to replenish the stock.  The only item I feel looked a little bare after the madness was the Rag & Bone Cardigan in the Boys size.  Many women found they could fit in the boys size and save $20!

Sizing and Review
Here is a list of the items I purchased and how I feel about sizing as well as quality of everything I touched/bought/thought about buying. :)


  • Oscar de la Renta Tote $59.99
    • This tote is made of canvas and it is a pretty light cream color for the base, with white flowers.  
    • It is thick canvas, but not too heavy.  
    • Seems very sturdy and will not lose it's shape
    • Has inner pockets and is the right size to be used as a purse if you wanted.
    • Review: 10/10


  • Marc Jacobs Pouch in Rose Gold $69.99
    • This item I wanted to see in store before buying.  I wanted to make sure the "pouch" was worth spending $70 on.
    • The shimmer for each bag is really pretty and I can see it being used for holiday parties or as a statement clutch.
    • It seems to be about the size of a make up pouch.  Definitely not a big clutch like you would find at American Apparel.
    • It is made of real leather and the inside of the pouch is a leather suede.
    • I haven't really examined the zipper pull yet, but upon first look it seemed like it was made of plastic, but I think it's metal.  I'll have to get back to you on that.
    • Review: 7/10 (It's up to you to decide is a medium sized pouch is worth $70)




  • Tracy Reese Dessert Plates $39.99
    • This item I bought in store this morning.
    • The plates are gorgeous!  And heavy.
    • The back side of the plates are a pretty teal color and stamped with Tracy's name.
    • They are heavy and sturdy and are a perfect size for desserts.
    • These come in a nice round box with foam dividers for storing.
    • Review: 10/10



  • Tory Burch Thermos $24.99
    • This item I bought in store this morning.
    • It seems like your generic thermos you could buy anywhere.
    • The print is really fun though, and if you don't have a thermos already, it may be a good buy.
    • Review: 8/10 (One of the items you don't really need, but if you want a cheap piece of Tory Burch, then why not?)

  • Brian Atwood Leather Gloves $49.99
    • Bought these online, but wanted to check that I bought the right size in store.
    • I bought a S/M which I was afraid might not fit because I tried on leather gloves of the Merona brand at Target and they were a little tight around the palm and thumb.
    • I bought the S/M because most people say that leather stretches as you wear it.  I'm glad I did because after trying on both at the store, the L/XL fingers were much too long.  The S/M fit perfectly in finger length and was not tight around the forearm.
    • The length of the glove goes right around mid forearm.
    • The studs are really pretty and have an ombre effect to them.  The inside feels like a suede leather. They are not lined.
    • Review: 10/10

  • Proenza Schouler Sweatshirt $29.99
    • This item I bought online, but wanted to check the size.
    • This item runs generously and I was able to fit in the medium with room.  
    • I got the Large though because I wanted it to be a little more slouchy.
    • The high-low hem is fun and the inside of this sweatshirt is soft and warm.
    • Very flattering fit.
    • Review: 10/10

  • Prabal Gurung Cape $79.99
    • This item I bought online, but wanted to see how it looked on.
    • If you have wide shoulders or a thicker neck, this might not fit on you.
    • Where it closes seemed to fall right on the widest part of your shoulders, so for someone who has broad shoulders or may be bigger than a 14 on top, may not fit this item.
    • The sequins are not as vibrant as I thought they were going to be.
    • The fabric is thick, but not too thick and it lays nicely with a high-low hem.
    • Review: 8/10



Skaist-Taylor Fur Vest $79.99
    • Bought online but was way unsure of how this would fit so I definitely needed to try on.
    • I bought the Large online and while the Large fit in store, I liked the fit of the XL much better so I will be returning the large.  It laid a little flatter against my chest and it would give me enough room to wear a thicker sweater underneath.
    • I was surprised at how flattering this item was.  I thought for sure it would make me look like a Yeti, but it was actually quite gorgeous.
    • The fur shoulders are awesome and give a really cool silhouette.
    • The length hits right at your waist or for me, the top of my hip bones.  So if you have a long torso, this may be a little cropped on you.
    • Very soft and very warm.
    • Has slit front pockets and the lining is a pink satin.
    • Review: 10/10


  • Rag & Bone Cardigan $49.99 Boys Price (Men's $69.99)
    • I bought this in store this morning because I didn't know if the Boys size would fit me.
    • I was able to fit in the Boys XL and there were only 2, so I got one of them!
    • The fabric is a little itchy, so if you have sensitive skin, you'll probably want to wear a long sleeve t-shirt underneath.
    • It's a very thick material (wool/cotton blend) and so if you have any qualms about thick sweaters making you look bigger, this may not be for you.
    • I think sizing up would make it a little more flattering if you're worried about looking "big".
    • Review: 9/10

  • Lela Rose Dress $99.99
    • I bought this item online, but will be returning after trying on in the store.
    • This is the only item I am sadly disappointed with.  I wear a 36 D and the size 14 of this dress did not fit me!
    • I feel that both this dress and the Robert Rodriguez Lace Dress both ran very small.  The fabric has no stretch at all, so unless I lost about 15 pounds, I might fit in the 12.
    • Maybe I have wide ribs, I don't know, but I was sad this this dress did not fit.
    • Otherwise, it is a gorgeous party dress.  It has a high-low hem and it has a little crinoline under the outer layer to give the skirt some poof.
    • It says it's a cotton/silk blend, but it definitely feels a little more cotton-y than silky. 
    • Review: 7/10 (For fit issues, and I honestly don't think it's worth $100 after seeing it in person)
I also tried on the Robert Rodriguez Ruffle Top, but this was not flattering on me.  It may be flattering on people with smaller busts.  This top is very generous and I was able to fit in a Small.  The neck is high and closes with 3 buttons.  The neck felt a little constricting.

I loved the Alice + Olivia Suitcase but I don't think it's worth $179.99.  The print is super cute though and it would be perfect for those who travel with carry ons.  It also comes with garment bags to store shoes, make up, or misc.

I checked out the Proenza Schouler iPad Case and the Carolina Herrera Travel Cases and both were very nicely made.  Both are thick and seem very sturdy.  The CH cases are a fabric outer with a polyester inner to make it very easy to clean.  I just wasn't a fan of the print.  The PS iPad Case is thick as well, but I disliked that it didn't have a handle.  

I debated on getting the Marc Jacobs Scarf  as well, but I wasn't satisfied with the length of the scarf.  It was not long enough to wrap around to create a "circle" look, which is usually how I wear my scarves.  It is on the thinner side so definitely a scarf for show and not warmth.  The metallic stripe is not very shiny at all.  It is very soft though, just not worth $70 to me.

So there you have it!  My super long, but hopefully helpful review on the Target x Neiman Marcus Collection.  Now I want to know, what did you all get??  Have a great weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment